Why Skin Care is a Part of My Wellbeing Journey?

If you’re anything like me, then when you picture a wellbeing journey, the first thing that pops to mind likely isn’t putting lotion on your hands before bed or choosing the right gentle cleanser that is perfect for your skin type.  It’s just not the first – or second – image for me. I usually think about superfoods and yoga.

 

 

Healthy Skin is Important to Overall Physical Wellness

 

The thing is, skin care is a very important part of self care. A good healthy skin care routine isn’t just about trying to look good or some quest to stay young looking. Perfect skin just doesn’t exist. Perfect-looking skin is covered in makeup or digitally altered. Healthy skin, on the other hand, is more achievable. 

 

Considering that your skin is the biggest organ in your body – and it’s right on the outside exposed to absolutely everything from sunlight to air pollution and from excess oils to the toxins in fabric softeners. Taking good care of your skin helps it to better keep you free of infection and discomfort. It protects you from the outside world.

 

Great Skincare Practices Are Good for Overall Mental Wellbeing

 

There’s a reason that people go to a spa and get a facial or a mani-pedi in order to relax.  Taking care of your skin is relaxing! It’s fantastic for supporting mental wellbeing by being a stress buster.

 

I don’t know about you, but with everything going on right now, I haven’t exactly been making regular day spa appointments – when they’re open at all!  Still, a regular skin care routine has proven to be a nice and soothing part of my day. Every now and again I’ll do a sheet mask or something like that, but it’s the everyday routine that makes the difference on a regular basis.

 

I consider it to be a part of the mindfulness exercises I’m starting. Just like my gratitude journal, I’ve started looking to my skin care routine as a practice in mindfulness and wellbeing. It’s predictable, soothing, and I’ve been taking care to apply the product in a way that I’m paying attention while I do it.

 


 

Choosing Quality Skin Care

 

My main challenge now is that I need to get some better skin care products.  With both my previous laziness and the change in seasons right now, I’ve just been pretty much using whatever is easiest to get my hands on. I can’t say that’s doing much for me.

 

Overall, my skin is pretty normal in the summer.  My face is combination year-round. I’ve noticed a bit of redness on my cheeks over the last few months that I’m blaming stress for. The rest of me is fine in the warmer months but definitely dries out in the winter. I haven’t been using anything at all for moisturizing on my body since last winter. 

 

I have a giant bottle of Vaseline Intensive Care next to my sinks because washing my hands a few dozen times every day is stripping moisture away there. I use Neutrogena cleanser and moisturizer, and I don’t like them.  They were on sale, so I bought them. Now I’m hunting for something new and special, so I’ll have it when this stuff runs out.

 

I’m looking for all-natural and handmade. I recently read an article about the difference choosing the right skin care products can make, and it convinced me that cheapest isn’t the best.  Selecting with care really can make a difference. So, I’m going for it.

 

Anyone want to recommend something amazing? Do you have suggestions? I’m definitely looking for advice here. If you have a favorite or a go-to, I’d love it if you comment on my Instagram, Facebook or Twitter and let me know!

 


Facebook

Twitter

Instagram

 

 

Popular posts from this blog

Giving Natural Sleep Remedies a Try for the First Time

Beginning the “Like Grandma Made” Challenge for WellBeing

My Journey to Wellbeing: Step by Step (by step)