Why I Stopped Listening to 'Hamilton'

As a part of my wellbeing journey, I've been trying to take a fresh look at all the choices I've been making in my life. not all at once, of course, but gradually. Over the last week, I've been thinking about the music choices I've been making. As a part of that, I've decided to stop listening to Hamilton, at least for a while.


Important note: I absolutely love Hamilton. I love it. This is not a hate piece against it. It's fantastic, amazing, beautiful, clever, and all good things. This is not me saying I'll never listen to it again. I'm also not recommending that other people stop listening to it. In fact, if you haven't seen/heard it, I'd recommend you pop on out of that rock you've been living under give it a try. it's amazing. Anyway...

Music For WellBeing

 
So here's the thing. Since July 4, I've listening to the entire Hamilton playlist at least once per week. Often many, many more times than that. At times, it has done amazing great things for my state of happiness in the moment. Lately, since I've been trying to practice mindfulness and pay attention to how my choices affect me, I've been noticing an important change.
 
I've always had a strong emotional reaction to Hamilton while listening to it or especially while singing along. I feel inspired, determined, heartbroken, devastated, hopeful...every song comes with a powerful emotion. Right now, I'm struggling emotionally. Outbreaks are on the rise again and, as much as I'm trying to stay hopeful and positive in this pandemic, seeing record-breaking numbers in my area lately is definitely taking its toll on my feeling of wellbeing. Because of that, the emotional songs I used to love for being so powerful are overwhelming.
 
Where I used to feel strong, I feel hurt and weepy. Even the line "Call me son one more time..." makes me feel that frustration and pain right in my gut. "It's Quiet Uptown" gets me so deeply that I can't even type out a lyric right now or the tears that are already welling will spill over. Yes, there's a lot of positivity and humor in Hamilton, but I'm just not able to handle the emotional highs and lows. I just can't seem to deal with feeling so much right now. 

You know what, though? That's OK.

Choosing Songs for Wellness 

I know that Hamilton will be there for me when I'm feeling more balanced again. When my world feels more stable so I can handle the instability of his world once again. 

Instead, I'm sticking to tunes that help to support my emotional wellbeing. I'm choosing music that makes me feel but in a way I can cope with. I've found that this means a combination of some of my favs from today, but a lot of old folky kind of music, some weird stuff, and a bit of bouncy stuff now and then. 

I've gravitated to anything from the 60s right through to now. Elton John, John Denver, Simon & Garfunkel, but also Lady Gaga, Mika, Justin Bieber and Ariana Grande. Miley, P!nk, Disturbed and the Beatles...it's some random list. in fact, it's a playlist I'm building. It's pretty much my fall 2020 coping playlist for wellbeing. It's a work in progress. I've been building it for a while as I hear music that leaves my heart feeling good instead of trampled. 

Check Out My Fall 2000 Feeling Well Being Playlist 

Since this music has been so great for my wellbeing, especially on the weekends when I'm trying to get stuff done like cooking and cleaning, I thought some of it might appeal to you, too. Here you go!


Popular posts from this blog

Giving Natural Sleep Remedies a Try for the First Time

Beginning the “Like Grandma Made” Challenge for WellBeing

My Journey to Wellbeing: Step by Step (by step)